By-Laws of the Florida East Coast Bromeliad Society
ARTICLE I - NAME
The name of the organization is the FLORIDA EAST COAST BROMELIAD SOCIETY referred to herein as the Society. The
Society is a non-profit organization affiliated with the Florida Council of Bromeliad Societies, Inc.
ARTICLE II - OBJECTIVES
Section 1. To educate the members regarding the culture, identification, and hybridization of the plant family Bromeliaceae (Bromeliads) by the exchange of information at regular meetings.
Section 2. To promote public interest in Bromeliads by participation in public horticultural events and presentations.
Section 3. To preserve Bromeliads by the cultivation of rare and endangered plants, and, to support habitat conservation and the eradication of non-native pests.
ARTICLE III - MEMBERSHIP
Membership is open to persons who support the objectives of the Society upon payment of the established dues. Members sixteen years of age and under are exempt from the payment of dues.
ARTICLE IV - DUES
Section 1. Dues shall be proposed by the Executive Board at the November membership meeting and will be subject to a majority of the votes cast, a quorum being present.
Section 2. Dues are payable by the end of January for the year January 1 through December 31, which is the fiscal year of the Society.
- Dues shall not be pro-rated.
- Membership requires the payment of dues (except as indicated in Article III above) by the end of January each year.
ARTICLE V - OFFICERS, ELECTIONS, AND DUTIES
Section 1. Officers
Section 2. Elections
- The Officers are President, Vice-President, Secretary, and Treasurer, who are elected annually.
- The Executive Board consists of the Officers and one Director who is elected annually.
Section 3. Duties
- The President shall appoint a Chairman and two members from the membership at the October membership meeting as the Nominating Committee. Members of the Executive Board are not eligible to serve on the Nominating Committee.
- The Committee shall select candidates for each office and the Chairman will present the slate at the November membership meeting. The President will also solicit nominations from the floor at the November membership Meeting.
- The Nominating Committee will be dismissed with thanks.
- The final slate of candidates will be elected by ballot or voice vote at the November membership meeting and the newly elected officers and director will begin service on January 1 next, serving until the end of that fiscal year.
- The President shall preside over all Executive Board and membership meetings, appoint members to all standing and special committees, serve as a representative to the Florida Council of Bromeliad Societies, Inc., appoint an Auditor at the November membership meeting, and perform other duties as described in Robert's Rules of Order Revised.
- The Vice-President will chair the Program/Education Committee and assume the duties of the President or any other officer during their absence.
- The Secretary shall keep the minutes of the Executive Board and regular and special meetings of the Society. He/she is the custodian of the Society's records and correspondence, with the exception of the financial records. The Secretary shall act as the Parliamentarian.
- The Treasurer shall receive all moneys, issue all moneys in payment of the Society's obligations, notify delinquent members of that status in February, keep an appropriate ledger and accounts of all moneys received and disbursed. He/she shall report on the financial condition of the Society at regular membership meetings. An annual report shall be prepared at the end of the fiscal year for presentation at the January membership meeting.
- The Director shall serve as a representative to the Florida Council of Bromeliad Societies, Inc., and perform other duties as assigned by the Executive Board.
- The Executive Board shall appoint a member to fill any vacancy on the Board.
ARTICLE VI - QUORUM
Section 1. A Quorum of the Executive Board is three.
Section 2. A Quorum membership meetings is ten.
ARTICLE VII - MEETINGS
Section 1. The Executive Board meetings are subject to call by the President.
Section 2. Membership meetings shall be on the second Sunday of the month
- The time and place for the meeting shall be selected by the President.
- Cancellation or deviation from Section 2a., above, is permissible with notice to the members at the previous membership meeting.
ARTICLE VIII - RULES OF ORDER
Robert's Rules of Order Revised by General Henry M. Robert shall govern the proceedings of the Society.
ARTICLE IX - AMENDMENTS
The By-Laws of the Society may be amended by two-thirds of the votes cast at any regular or special membership meeting, a quorum being present, provided notice of the proposed Amendment(s) was given at the previous regular membership meeting.
ARTICLE X - MERGER/DISSOLUTION
Section 1. The Society may merge with another horticultural society upon a two-thirds vote of the membership. The vote may be a mailed ballot or voice vote at a regular membership meeting provided notice was given at the previous regular membership meeting.
Section 2. The Society may be dissolved by a two-thirds vote of the membership.
- A ballot will be mailed to each member with a stamped return envelope thirty days prior to the next regular membership meeting of the Society, at which time the ballots will be counted.
- Upon a vote to dissolve the Society, the physical assets will be sold after which the financial assets will be donated to the Florida Council of Bromeliad Societies, Inc.
Revision: R. L. Roberts March 5, 1999